Liscard Battery was built on the Southern shoreline of the Mersey between 1858 and 1860. The Battery mounted seven 10-inch shell guns. The perimeter of the battery was protected by a wall with loopholes and small towers (caponiers) at the corners. The main gate of the battery has the date 1858 on it.
In 1882 the Morley Committee recommended that the Battery be upgraded to mount two 10-inch RML guns but this was never done. It was instead suggest as a location for the Submarine Mining Establishment. The Battery was decommissioned in 1912.
The core of the Battery site has now been lost to development but it is still possible to see parts of the outer wall, and main gated entrance.