Posted on September 17, 2020 / 3
The Merseyside commercial port designated as Class C by the Home Ports Defence Committee, later the Home Defence Committee with defences designed to resist attack from unarmoured cruisers and block ships in 1885. Defences in the area included:
- Fort Perch Rock was built in 1830 and armed with 18 smooth bore guns. In 1861 it was upgraded to mounted 2 x 7-inch RBLs, 8 x 68-pdr SB with 8 x 32-pdr SB retained. In 1875 eight 64-pdr replaced the 68-pdrs. 1897 three 6-inch Mark VI guns, upgraded to Mark VII guns in 1909.
- Magazine (Liscard) Battery in 1858 was armed with 7 x 10-inch smooth bore guns. Obsolete by 912.
- Seaforth Battery was constructed between 1877 and 1879 to mount four 12.5-inch RML guns. In 1898 two 4.7-inch Q.F. guns were installed on the roof of the casemates. Site lost