Royal Navy Hospital, Port Mahon
The Royal Navy Hospital, Isla del Rey, was built in 1711 by the British who had recently occupied Menorca. This was the first Naval Hospital of this type which was built outside the United Kingdom. Other Royal Navy Hospital would follow in Gibraltar and Jamaica, so this is many way was a forerunner.
The hospital was a single storey building that was built in a ‘U’ shape. An additional floor would later be added and the surviving structure is much changed from the original building.