Grain Tower Submarine Mining EstablishmentSheerness, UK
Grain Tower Submarine Mining Establishment was established in in 1892 to control the mine field across the Medway Estuary. A test room was built on the Barrack Room Floor of Grain Tower and two observations cells were placed on the roof. It is assumed that this establishment was withdrawn by 1912 when the 4.7-inch guns were installed. Responsibility for Submarine Mining had passed from the Royal engineers to the Navy in 1907.
From at least 1912 the Tower was used as an observation platform.