Chatham Lower Lines

Posted on April 14, 2022 / 7
Listing Type : Defence Line
Location : England

The Chatham Lower Lines were an extension of the Cumberland Lines (or Chatham Lines), which had been built in 1756.  This extension to the defence line was built in 1806 to cover the enlarged dockyard.  As with the rest of the Chatham Lines, the construction was a bastion trace with dry ditch.

By the middle of the 19th Century, the Royal Engineers based in the nearby Brompton Barracks, used the lines to train and field test new equipment.  Two searchlight emplacements, designed to shield the projector from hostile fire,  were built by them on the ramparts and still survive.

During World War 2 the old dry ditch was used as a anti-tank ditch and 12-pdr QF guns were mounted on two of the bastions.  Underground command and control bunkers were built, including Wildfire which was accessed from the dry moat.

    Related Listings