Mauritius Submarine Mining Establishment
The Mauritius Submarine Mining Establishment was one of the earlier overseas Mine Establishment built. The site has now been lost to development.
In 1878 the Special Colonial Defence Committee proposed the establishment of a Submarine Mining Establishment to protect the harbour of Port Louis. In November of 1878 a report was submitted outlining possible locations for this Establishment with Tonneliers Island, adjacent to Fort George being selected.
The Submarine Mining Establishment was built between 1879 and 1882 at a total cost of £4,8771. The construction work included:
- Pier and tramway
- Cable tank and accessories
- Test Room and Observations Station on the South Cavalier of Fort George
- Main buildings from iron with teak framing including:
- General store
- Connecting up shed
- Electrical, test, and apparatus rooms
- Loading room
- Steam-launch shed
Other buildings included:
- a boat shed
- loading shed
- guncotton store
In 1886 a Primer Pit was authorised with additional upgrades in January 1887. These improvements included an electric light engine room, coal store, and test room. This work was completed in 1889 at a total cost of £2,3281.
This site has now been lost to development.