Battery Flake was one of the five original batteries built on Grande Island as part of Fort Wint. Built between 1907 and 1910, this was a Quick Fire Battery armed with four 3-inch (12-pdr or 76.22mm) 1903 guns to counter attacks by faster enemy vessels such as Motor Torpedo Boats. The design of this battery was similar to Battery Jewell, also on Grande Island at Fort Wint.
The original 3-inch guns can now be seen at Fort Casey in Puget Sound, USA. One of the guns is shown in the images.