Wolseley Battery was built between 1897 and 1899 to mount four 6-inch BL guns. The magazines were built underground between the gun emplacements. There was a Battery Command Position in the centre of the battery and a trench for observation and infantry defence on each flank (see plan). The entrance to the battery was controlled by a guard house which was also used by the caretaker. There was no barrack accommodation and the rear of the battery site was protected by an unclimbable fence.
The architecture of the battery used many of the attributes associated with the Twydall Profile. Although the actual gun emplacements and underground works were built of concrete, the majority of the defence works were packed earth. The front of the battery was an earth glacis that sloped down to a shallow ditch. The battery front was screened with barbed wire covered by trenches built for machine guns. The perimeter of the battery was delineated with an unclimbable iron fence. This was the first battery of this dispersed type to be built in Malta. See the plan in the attached images.
The 6-inch gun emplacements at Wolseley Battery are very similar in design to the 4.7-inch QF gun emplacements built at Beacon Hill Fort about the same time.