Tigne Brennan Torpedo Station
The Tigne Brennan Torpedo launch site was one of two built in Malta, the other being at Fort Ricasoli. The Tigne Brennan Torpedo was intended to protect the entrance to Marsamxett Harbour, while the Ricasoli Brennan protected Grand Harbour. The depot was constructed from 1888 and was completed about three years later. The Brennan Torpedo site was linked to the main fort through the old counter-mines and counterscarp galleries. During World War 2 a boom defence winch was installed inside the main torpedo store.
For further background information on the Brenann Torpedo, please click here.