The North-West Front initially had the three forts at positions along the Great Fault. There was however areas of dead ground along the defence line, and one of these was at Targa Gap. In an attempt to neutralise the threat of attack here, Targa Battery was built in 1887. This was a pentagonal shaped work built in front of the defences lines but connected by a caponier and tunnel. A banquette for infantry was built on the defence line, overlooking the battery. It was proposed to arm the battery with four 64-pdr RML guns in 1888 but there is no evidence that Targa Battery was ever armed.