St Paul’s Battery was built between 1881 and 1886 at a height of 350 metres to dominate the Eastern approaches from St Thomas Bay. The battery is shaped roughly like a ‘D’ with a dry moat around except for the gorge. The works were built to mount three 64-pdr RML guns on ‘C’ pivots with an underground magazine in the centre of the Battery.
While still being built, the decision was made to replace the 64-pdr RML guns with three 7-inch 6.5-ton RML guns in barbette mounts.
In 1885 proposals were made to mount two 6-pdr Q.F. guns here but this was dropped. By 1900, with the introduction of breach loading guns, St Paul’s battery was decommissioned.