The British took over the dockyard in 1800 and expanded the naval base that had been used by the Knights of St John for their galleys.  By the 1860s the Malta Victualling Yard had been built in Dockyard Creek along with a ropery, storehouses, a bakery, a small steam factory and residential accommodation.   The Northern end of Dockyard Creek housed the double dry dock (Numbers 1 and 2) built between 1844 and 1847.