This is one of wo Magazines built behind the Victoria Lines to hold ammunition for the Howitzer Batteries Numbers 1 to 7 inclusive. Authority to build the Magazines was given on 6th June 1895 based on records held in the National Archives of Malta.
The Left Magazine was intend to supply Howitzer Batteries 4 to 7 inclusive.
The layout for both Magazines was similar. There is a caretaker’s residence and then a walled magazine area to the rear. The magazine area had a surface level Shell Store and then an underground Cartridge Store. The underground works were accessed down a steel rung ladder. There was then a shifting lobby area and the magazine off this. This was a ‘cut and cover’ construction, with a roof of concrete and stone filling above this. The Underground Magazine held 4,000 cartridges and the Shell Store 1,250 shells.
Unlike the Right Magazine, this site is now a private home and has been heavily modified. Traces of the old buildings can still be seen but largely built over. It would appear a pool had been built over the old shell store.
Image from Google Maps.