Il Widna Sound Mirror is probably the only Sound Mirror built outside the United Kingdom by the British. In 1933 proposals were advanced to build five sound mirrors in Malta, and the only one completed was this one at Maghtab.
Construction of the Sound Mirror took place between 1934 and 1935 with the design being a direct copy of the Denge Sound Mirror in Dungeness.
Once operational the Il Widna Sound Mirror did not prove effective and it was out of service by 5th May 1937.
By 1938 new mobile sound locators were being introduced. At least nine Sound Locator Positions were built, each with a Sound Locator and Searchlight. These sites are plotted on the Landing Map but for an introductory page on SOUND LOCATORS see here.
The Sound Locators would in turn be replaced by radar.