Gharghur Position Finding Station
Gharghur (Gargur) Position Finding Station was built in phases between 1899 and 1902. There were five Position Finding Cells and an on site Caretakers Quarters. These cells were allocated as following in about 1905:
- P.F. Cell 1: A Group, Pembroke Battery, Gun Number 1
- P.F. Cell 2: B Group, Pembroke Battery, Gun Number 2
- P.F. Cell 3: Fire Commander
- P.F. Cell 4: A Group of Ghargur H.A.F. Battery, Gun Number 1,2 & 3
- P.F. Cell 5: B Group of Ghargur H.A.F. Battery, Gun Number 4,5, & 6
This site was heavily developed during World War 2, and although Cells 1 to 3 can clearly be seen the old Cell 5 and Cell 4 have been extended to substantial observations post. Adjacent to Cell 5 there is an underground command and control bunker which has been sealed. The caretaker’s bungalow is still in situ. The cells number 1 and 2 were originally two storeys, but more recently have had single storey additions added to one side.
The location was later used as a clinic, making use of the military buildings once converted. This site is suspected to be awaiting development.