The site was originally considered in 1885 to mount four breech loading guns, two 6-inch guns, one 13.5-inch gun and one 10-inch gun. Garden Battery was built on land between Fort Tigne and Silema Point Battery. Construction commenced in 1889 and 1894 to mount three breech loading guns. These were a 9.2-inch and then a single 6-inch gun on a disappearing mount on each side. The battery had a small dry ditch to the front but had no other defences.