Fort Saint Elmo
Fort Saint Elmo (Fort St. Elmo) is a star fort originally built by the Knights of St John which fell to the Turkish attack in 1565 after a long period of heroic defence of the then incomplete fort. The British made immediate use of Fort St. Elmo from 1800 onwards and the works can be looked at in three parts, the Fort itself or Upper St. Elmo, the Lower Fort (Vendome Bastion & Barracks) and the coastal batteries along the seafront on the old bastions and curtain wall. The Fort was a critical component of the defences of both Grand Harbour and Marsamuscetto Harbour.
There are four 11-inch Rifle Muzzle Loading guns displayed outside the entrance to Fort St Elmo that were moved here from Fort San Leonardo.