Fort Delimara was built between 1876 and 1884 with the casemated batteries on the two faces overlooking Marasxlokk Bay cut out of solid rock. The two landward faces were protected by a rock cut dry moat and parapet wall.
The initial armament of the Fort was six 12.5-inch RML guns with iron shields, There were mounted in casemated positions underground.
Eight 32-pdr SB BL guns protected the moat.. There were also counter-scarp galleries to provide flanking fire along the ditch.
By 1892 the Fort had been rearmed with a single 9.2-inch gun BL on a disappearing carriage and two 6-inch BL in barbette emplacements.
In 1913 the Fort was again rearmed with two 9.2-inch BL guns.