St James Bastion

Posted on January 12, 2024 / 6
Listing Type : Defence Line
Location : Malta

St James Bastion is one of the eight bastions which made up the Cottonera Lines built by the Knights of St John. Cottonera Hospital was built in the gorge of the bastion in 1876.   During the Victoria period a 64-pdr RML was mounted on the apex of St James Bastion.  This position was used for a Bofors 40mm Anti Aircraft gun in World War 2.

The St Clements Retrenchment was built between Fort Verdala and St Clements Bastion.

The whole of St James Bastion is now a school.

    Related Listings