Inch Fort (Battery)Inch Island, Inch, County Donegal, Ireland
Inch Fort covers the southern end of Lough Swilly. It was originally built during the Napoleonic Wars to mount nine smoothbore guns.
During the 1880s the coastal defences of Lough Swilly were upgraded and this included the mounting of two 6-inch guns on Hydropneumatic (HP) mounts with underground magazines. The Battery remained operational until 1905 when the Owen Committee recommended it be disarmed.
The Battery is now is private hands but well preserved.