Lough Swilly, Naval Anchorage
Posted on September 17, 2020 / 10
Lough Swilly was designated as a Class C War Anchorage. The defences around the Lough were intended to deal with armoured cruisers.
By the end of the 19th Century the anchorage had the following active defences:
- Dunree Battery with two 6-inch Mark VII guns mounted in 1895 to 1897.
- Lenan (Head) Battery built between 1896 and 1900 to mount two 9.2-inch guns. Later another 9.2-inch gun was added.
- Inch Battery (Fort) which mounted two 6-inch guns on HP mountings.