South Hill Battery appears to have originally been an 7-inch RBL battery but no plans have been found to confirm this. A plan from 1850 (MPHH 1/698) shows the battery as having the “foundations of old work of defence with South Redoubt adjacent to the East.
Between the 27th June 1900 and 12th April 1901 a new battery was built here. South Hill Battery mounted two 6-inch Q.F. BL, Mark II guns, each with 500 rounds of ammunition. The total cost of the construction was £5261.
The battery was sighted on a hill, formed by earlier quarrying, which overlooks St Helier Harbour. The magazines were below the two gun emplacements, with lifts to convey the Q.F. rounds to the gun level. There are barracks further to the rear.
The site was used by the German Occupation Forces in World War 2.
The National Archives