Steval BatteryIsles of Scilly, UK
The initial funding for Steval Battery came in 1898. The battery was to be armed with two modern 6-inch Mark VII guns (introduced in 1989). The building work commenced in August 1898 and was completed by May 1901. Steval Battery was built as a joint project with Woolpack Battery and Woolsack Barracks.
The Battery was built along the ‘Dispersed’ or Twydall profile model, the intention being to make to batteries hard to observe by maintaining a low profile and natural camouflage. The battery was oval in layout, about 85 metres (275 feet) by 40 metres (120 feet) with a dry ditch perimeter protected by barbed wire. The two-gun pits are located centrally, about 30 metres (100 feet) apart with underground magazines and shelters between them. A Battery Command Post with DRF and telephone room, was built to the rear of the gun line.
The Battery operated in conjunction with Defence Electric Lights located along the old Garrison Walls.
The Battery survives and is now used by a shooting club and is badly overgrown in parts.