Fort Paull, originally known as Paull Point Battery, was built between 1861 and 1864. The initial armament was nineteen 64-pdr RML guns.
In 1894 breech loading guns were added, three 6-inch Mark VI BL guns on HP mounts and two 4.7-inch QF guns.
In 1904 the three 6-inch Mark VI BL guns were replaced with three 6-inch Mark VII guns.
A Submarine Mining Establishment was built adjacent to the Fort in 1886, complete with a pier.