Pottinger Battery was built between 1901 and 1902 at roughly the same time as the two 6-inch BL guns were mounted in Gough Battery above it on Devils Peak. This Battery was intended to help protect the eastern entrance to Hong Kong Harbour through the Lei Yue Mun Channel. The battery was opposite Lei Yue Mun Redoubt and mounted two 9.2-inch Mark X guns.
The Battery was earlier called Devil’s Peak Lower Battery, while Gough Battery was Devil’s Peak Upper Battery, both batteries located on Devils Peak with its’ Redoubt.
The Battery site was last cleared in 2002 and is now heavily overgrown. The brickwork in the magazine has been taken out for reuse.
Defence Electric Lights, with an engine room, can be found on the foreshore below the battery, but it can not be determined at this time exactly when these positions were built. The engine room, which is similar in design to the one at Cape Collinson, dates from 1938 to 1939.
The two 9.2-inch guns were removed in the run up to World War 2 and mounted at the new Bokhara Battery, Cape D’Auguilar on Hong Kong Island.