Devils Peak Redoubt

Posted on December 25, 2021 / 5
Listing Type : Defence Line
Location : Hong Kong

It is not known precisely when Devils Peak Redoubt was built but it is believed that there was originally a blockhouse built on the site as part of the Kowloon Defence Line.  The British acquired the New Territories of Hong Kong in 1898.  The National Archives holds plans showing that the Devil’s Peak area was surveyed in August 1899 for “Proposed Site for Batteries etc.” (TNA WO 78/143).  At this point it would appear that three batteries were proposed, a 6-inch battery where Devils Peak Redoubt now stands and a 9.2-inch battery where Gough Battery was built.  A quick-fire battery (12-pdr) close to the shoreline opposite Lei Yue Mun Redoubt.

It is estimated the redoubt was built in about 1910 and then major improvements made to it in 1914 to 1915.  According to Rollo 1991.96 the establishment for the Redoubt was one officer and ten men. The redoubt could comfortably accommodate in excess of one hundred soldiers.

The National Archives WO 78/5432 has plans of Devil’s Peak Redoubt from 1914 to 1915 showing the building of additional shelters, machine gun positions and a kitchen.

    Related Listings