Heugh Battery was originally built between 19th December 1859 and 28th November 1860 to mount four smooth bore guns. Three guns were mounted in line, and one in a forward position.
By 1870 the battery mounted four 64-pdr RML guns in barbette emplacements. Between 1882 and 1889 one of the 64-pdr RML guns was removed, leaving three guns. In 1901 the whole battery was completely rebuilt to mount two 6-inch Mark VII guns. The present layout dates from 1943 to 1956 and was for two 6-inch BL Mark XXIV.