Landguard Fort Submarine Mining EstablishmentHarwich, UK
Landguard Fort Submarine Mining Establishment (SME) was built just outside Landguard Fort in what is referred to as the Ravelin Block. The date over the doorways shows 1878 (see image).
The whole complex was connected with a tramway which was used to move the sea mines around. Sections of this track can still be seen, especially near Darrell’s Battery where they run down to the old mine pier.
For more background on Submarine Ware between 1863 and 1907 see here.