Darrell’s BatteryHarwich Road, Colchester, UK
Derrell’s Battery was constructed between 1900 and 1901 to mount two 4.7-inch Quick Fire Guns. The Battery lies on the shoreline to the west of Landguard Fort.
The primary function of the battery was to defend the minefield across the estuary, assisted by the 4.7-inch Battery at Beacon Hill Fort on the opposite bank.
During the early phases of World War 2, a pair of 12-pdr QF guns were mounted here. These were replaced by two Twin 6-pdr Q.F. guns with control towers. These new guns were built over the top of the old 4.7-inch gun pits.