Harwich Redoubt

Harwich, UK
Posted on May 13, 2021 / 19
Listing Type : Coastal Fort
Location : England

Harwich Redoubt covers the estuaries of the River Stour and the River Orwell and the channel leading to the main harbour area.  Build during the Napoleonic Wars and completed in 1809. The Redoubt was similar in design to Dymchurch Redoubt and Eastbourne Redoubt The building of the Redoubt was part of an 1805 scheme that included the construction of 55 Martello Towers on the East Anglian coast, although only 29 of these were ever built.  Tower L and Tower M were built on Shotley Point and can still be seen by Shotley Point Battery.

Harwich Redoubt was built to work in conjunction with Landguard Fort on the opposite shore to seal the entrance to the harbour.

The armament of Harwich Redoubt was:

  • 1810 onwards ten 24-pdr SB guns
  • 1861 upgraded to mount seven 68-pdr and three 8-inch SB guns
  • 1871 three 9-inch RML guns mounted on the roof facing towards the harbour. These three gun emplacements were named Cook Street, Box Street and King Street respectively.  One of the 9-inch RML was subsequently recovered from the Harwich Redoubt ditch.
  • 1903 to 1905 two 12-pdr QF guns were mounted in the positions known as Box Street and King Street, facing the Harbour. These 12-pdr guns were removed in 1910.

The role of Harwich Redoubt was superseded by Beacon Hill Battery.

    Related Listings