Hartlepool was designated as a Class C Commercial Port in 1886 by the Home Ports Defence Committee, later the Home Defence Committee with its’ defences designed to resist attack by unarmoured cruisers and block ships.
There were two coastal defence batteries built to protect Hartlepool Harbour, Lighthouse Battery and the adjacent Heugh Battery. Both batteries were built between 1859 and 1860 to protect the anchorage at Harlepool.
Heugh Battery was initially armed with RML guns before two 6-inch Mark VII guns were mounted in 1901.
Lighthouse Battery was upgraded to 6-inch Mark VII gun in 1908.