Wellington Front was one of the major improvements recommended in the report by Major General John Jones in 1840. The new section of wall with two demi-bastions jointed by a Central Front originally abutted the sea. Built with embrasures for some fifteen guns, with at least one arms shed and three strong traverses. A further small magazine, called the Regimental Magazine and another arms shed were built in the gorge.
In 1859 Wellington Front had the following guns:
- Seven 68-pdr guns
- Four 32-pdr of 42cwt
- Four 8-inch SB guns
By 1886 the armament had changed as follows:
- Four 8ins SB, presumably the ones shown in 1859
- One 12.5-ins RML which was located in a new Iron Shield Position, Northern Dem-Bastion in 1879. The configuration of this gun is very similar to Alexandra Battery with a solid iron face and fixed ports to fire through
- Three 10-ins RML guns on the Central Front between the two demi-bastions
- One 64/32-pdr RML (garrison standing)
- Two 32-pdr SB (garrison Standing)
- Three 64/32-pdr RML (garrison standing)
- Two 32-pdr SB (garrison standing)
The other 12.5-inch RML guns in Gibraltar were at the following locations.
- Europa Hutment Battery
- Harding’s Battery
- King’s Bastion
- Montague Bastion
- Princess Alexandra Battery
- Wellington Front
- Zoca Flank
King’s Bastion, Princess Alexandra Battery, Wellington Front and Zoca Flank had the 12.5-inch gun mounted behind a curved iron shield with two apertures for firing.