The Battery is named after Lieut. Col Abraham Tovey Command of the Artillery at Gibraltar who was killed during the Great Siege. Tovey Battery is one of the three 6 ins Batteries built to cover the Western Side of the Rock, particularly the close approaches to the harbour. The others were Devils Gap and Lewis Batteries.
Between 1909 and 1911 this battery was built to mount two 6-ins Mark VII guns on central pivot Mark II mountings.
By the end of World War 1 the battery is shown as mounting two 4-ins BL guns on CP1 Mountings according to the fort log but it is not clear when the ordinance was changed.
In 1943 it would appear that there was still 6-ins guns at the battery from records concerning the changing of one of the barrels.
The Battery can be visited but the underground works are now sealed.
The other 6-inch Batteries in Gibraltar are: