San Giovanni Battery

Posted on January 21, 2021 / 68
Listing Type : Land Battery
Location : Malta

In February 1878 it was recommended by Sir Lintorn Simmons that a gun battery be built to cover the dead ground between Fort Madalena and Fort Pembroke.  The battery was built into the Victoria Lines themselves with two Maxim Machine Guns to provide additional firepower.  San Giovanni Battery was built between 1884 and 1887 and was armed with two 6-pdr Q.F. guns.

The Battery lies less than half a mile from the gates of Fort Madalena and the gun crew were based here.    Two of the mounts for these Maxim M.Gs remain at San Giovanni Battery.  There is a small underground magazine and telephone room to the rear of the battery.

The UK National Archives records

WO 78/5296

    Related Listings