Royal Naval Hospital, Gibraltar
The (Old) Royal Naval Hospital in Gibraltar was built between 1741 and 1746 just above Rosia Bay and the Victualling Yard. It was one of the earliest such hospital built, the first Royal Naval Hospital being at Port Mahon, Menorca.
Most of the building material was brought in the United Kingdom, and the work was supervised by masons from Portland. The Hospital was a quadrangle and could accommodate 1000 patients and the medical staff.
The Royal Naval Hospital was relinquished in 1922 and then used as married quarters. The premises are now residential flats. The new British Military Hospital took over the care of all military personnel.