Rooke Battery was named after Admiral Sir George Rook who commanded the fleet that captured Gibraltar in 1704. Built between 1906 and 1907 it mounted s single 9.2-inch Mark X gun on a Mark V mount with an underground magazine and crew shelter dug out of the rock to the rear.
During World War 2 it was used as a Fire Command Headquarters and searchlight position.
The other 9.2-inch Batteries in Gibraltar are:
The United Kingdom National Archives references:
- WO 78/5246