Queen Charlottes Battery
Queen Charlotte’s Battery is named after Queen Charlotte Sophia of Mecklenburg-Stelitz, the wife of George III. This battery is just above the current entrance to the Moorish Castle Tower. Constructed in 1727 mounting two 12-pdr guns.
The Battery armament was
- two or three 24-pdr guns in 1859
- 7-inch RBL 1863-1892
- a single 64/32-pdr RML in 1886
During World War 2 a 75-mm anti-tank gun was mounted in an embrasure immediately below the battery.