Both Lord Aireys and O’Hara’s Batteries started as 6-ins BL Guns on Vavasseur Central Pivot Mountings. They were subsequently up-gunned to 9.2-ins guns, both of which remain in place. The Engine Room and underground works are also open to the public.
The Battery was named after Field Marshal James O’Hara, a former Governor of Gibraltar. The gun was mounted on the site of the old O’Hara’s Tower, which was demolished in 1888. In 1890 a 6-inch BL gun on a Vavasseur centre pivot mounting was installed.
In 1901 the 6-inch gun was replaced by a 9.2-inch Mark IX BL gun on a Mark V mounting. At this time the gun had a range of 14,000 yards but this was to be increased over the years to 29,000 yards with a Mark X gun on a Mark VII mounting.
The battery was in use during World War II and was last fired during training exercises in 1976.
One of the three 9.2-inch gun batteries making up Upper Battery. A counter-bombardment role.
The other 9.2-inch Batteries in Gibraltar are:
The UK National Archives references:
- WO 78/2739
- WO 32/6373