Mediterranean (Martins) Battery
Martin’s Battery or Mediterranean Battery is situated on a ledge below Lord Airey’s Battery and covers the eastern side of the Rock looking north. In 1834 it mounted a 10-inch brass Howitzer and a 24-pdr iron gun. The magazine was in a small cave just to the west of the gun platform.
The armament then evolved to:
- 1863 one 7-inch RBL
- 1885to 1890 two 7-inch RBLs
- World War 2 (1940 to 1958) two 4-inch BL naval guns
Immediately to adjacent to the battery lies the Mediterranean Position Find Station.