Lord Aireys Battery
This battery is named after General Richard, Lord Airey 1803-1881, a former Governor of Gibraltar. The first British battery was built here between July 1890 and March 1891 and mounted a single 6-inch BL gun on a Vavaseur central pivot mount.
Between 1897 and 1899 converted to mount a 9.2-inch Mark IX gun on a Mark IV Mount.
Later there were plans to mount an additional 9.2-inch gun at this battery, but this was not proceeded with.
An engine room was built underground that was shared between Lord Airey’s Battery and O’Hara’s Battery. There was a tunnel connecting the two guns with underground magazines.
In 1936 the gun was upgraded to mount a 9.2-inch Mark X and a Mark VII mount increasing its’ range to cover the whole of the Gibraltar Straights.
Together with Spur Battery and O’Hara’s Battery the gun remained active until 1976, well after the 1956 cut off for most coastal artillery.
One of the three 9.2-inch gun making up Upper Battery. A counter-bombardment role.
The other 9.2-inch Batteries in Gibraltar are:
The UK National Archives references include
- WO 78/2739
- WO 32/6373