This battery was named after Major George Lewis of the Royal Artillery who succeeded Lt. Coll. Tovey as Command of the Royal Artillery during the Great Siege.
Construction work began on the site in June 1910 and the battery was completed by 1912 with two 6-inch Mark VII BL guns on centre pivot Mark II mountings.
The battery was decommissioned after 1918 and thus had a short operational life. The stores held 900 full cartridges and 600 shells, presumably split equally between the two guns.
During WW2 the site was used as a 40-mm Bofors Anti-Aircraft position. The left hand gun position was used an electric fighting light for Tovey Battery, the other light being for Governor’s Lookout Battery.
The site is largely intact but is private property. There was also a temporary shelter for 45 NCO and men built against the retaining wall between the two guns but this has now all gone. The underground works for the northern gun remain intact and are in good condition. The entrance to the southern was blocked with rubbish but in 2019 this was cleared and the whole site partially restored.
The other 6-inch Batteries in Gibraltar are: