Levant Battery was so named because it lies just below the Levanter cloud level at an altitude of about 560 ft.
Worked started on the site in 1901 and was completed by 1903 with a single 9.2-inch Mark X BL gun on a Mark V mounting. The battery has a single pit with underground works to the rear. The gun was still in position in the early 1970s but has since been removed for scrap and may be in the scrap yard on the Northern Front.
The other 9.2-inch Batteries in Gibraltar are:
References at the UK National Archives
- WO 78/4447
- WO 78/5234
- WO 32/6373