This is one of the Europa Batteries that was called Europa Hutment Battery because it was in the military hutment area close to Bleak House.
Plans dated 1855 show a 56-pdr gun is shown mounted at this position. In an 1861 map of Gibraltar this is shown as the Prince of Wales Gun.
In his report of 1868 Col. Jerviois recommended the mounting of a 12.5-inch RML gun at this location. Work was conducted between March 1877 and May 1878 with further upgrades between 1st July 1989 and 20th September 1889. Between 14th April 1891 and 23rd September 1891 further minor improvements were made to the site.
By 1878 the Battery mounted a single 12.5ins, 38-ton R.M.L. gun in a barbette mount. The 1886 armament return confirms this gun is still mounted at this location.
The other 12.5-inch RML guns in Gibraltar were at the following locations.
- Europa Hutment Battery
- Harding’s Battery
- King’s Bastion
- Montague Bastion
- Princess Alexandra Battery
- Wellington Front
- Zoca Flank
King’s Bastion, Princess Alexandra Battery, Wellington Front and Zoca Flank had the gun mounted behind a curved iron shield with two apertures for firing.