Hesse’s Demi-bastion was originally a Spanish construction named Saint Peter’s Bastion. The guns covered the eastern side of the ditch and approaches to Landport Gate. Hesse’s Demi-bastion was named after Prince George of Hesse-Darmstadt who commanded the Marines in 1704 when the captured Gibraltar. Initially armed with two 18-pdrs and four 4-pdrs guns
Returns for 1859 show the following armament:
- Two 68-pdr Carronades
- Three 24-pdr guns
- Three 24-pdr Carronades
Return for 1886 show Hesse’s Demi-bastion armed with:
- Six 32-pdr SB guns
The location became a hub point for the water supply many of the original features have been lost.