Hanover Battery is located forward of the old medieval walls and immediately above the access to the King’s Gallery. It dates back to 1762 when two 24-pdr guns were mounted here. Two gun emplacements faced over the King’s Lines, while two embrasures faced towards the front of Grand Battery. The Battery remains clearly visible, but the racers etc are now lost or buried.
In 1859 returns shows that the following armament was mounted
- Two 24-pdr guns
- Two 24-pdr Carronades
The 1886 return shows that that there are now two 7-inch RBL guns mounted here.
See black and white image which shows two 7-inch RBL guns and two 24-pdr Carronades mounted in the battery. (by George Washington Wilson (who died in in 1893) – Gibraltarphots – by Neville Chipolina, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=22827671. )