Greens Lodge Battery
This battery was named after Major-General Green, Chef Engineer, Great Siege 1779 to 1783. In 1776 it had five guns, later reduced to the two 32-pdr. The battery was armed with two 32lbs SB gun up until sometime after 1859. By 1886 there was no guns in the battery.
Green’s Lodge Battery was an early battery established during the Great Siege and shown on maps dated 1798. Originally is was called Superior Battery, named changed in 1779. In 1776 the highest battery on the Rock and in 1779 the first to engage the Spanish.
There is a small magazine cut out of the rock to the rear of the battery.
During WW2 a 40-mm Bofors Anti-Aircraft gun was mounted here on a platform built over the old gun emplacements.