Grand Battery was one of the most significant batteries on the land front. By the 1850’s it was loosing importance and no new armaments were added before Word War 1. Grand Battery is flanked by the Castle Batteries in the East and the West Place of Arms on the other flank.
The main defence line facing northwards and controlling the area around the Inundation.
Returns for 1859show that there were fifteen 32 pounder guns mounted on the ramparts of Grand Battery. By 1886 this had been reduced to thirteen 32-pounder guns, presumably the same guns but now a lot older.
During World War 2 pillboxes were built into some of the gun embrasures and emergency gun emplacements built on the eastern end of the battery.