Farringdon Battery

Posted on March 19, 2021 / 60
Listing Type : Land Battery
Location : Gibraltar

Farrington Battery is named after Sir Anthony Farrington who was in command of the Royal Artillery in Gibraltar between 1759 and 1763.  It is believed name was transliterated to Farringdon later.

There was initially a seven gun smooth bore battery here which provided flanking fire along the north face close to the Notch. In 1878 it was proposed to mount two 9-inch RML guns here in a casemate battery.   In 1898 the 9-inch guns were replaced by 10-inch RML guns.  One of the old 9-inch guns is believed to have later been abandoned in the Princess Lines ((Northern Front) before being moved to Parson’s Lodge.

During World War 2 one of the two gun casemates was used for a fixed beam searchlight.  Tunnels lead off from the side of the battery.

    Related Listings