Europa Advance Batteries
The Europa Advance Batteries were four batteries located on the eastern shore of Gibraltar below Windmill Hill. About 1800 they were armed with three 18-pdr, one 4-pdr and one 3-pdr guns. By 1956 the Europa Advance Batteries were armed as follows:
1st Europa Advance Two 32-pdr
2nd Europa Advance Two 32-pdr
3rd Europa Advance Two 32-pdr
4th Europa Advance Two 32-pdr
It would appear that these guns were never upgraded.
In World War 2 a battery of two 4-inch BL Mark IX Q.F. guns were mounted in a new battery at 1st and 2nd Europa Advance Battery and on the slope behind.
Little remains of the old smoothbore batteries although the barbette walls have all survive.