Elliot’s Battery and Elliot’s Practice Battery.
Elliot’s Battery was adjacent to Bleak House on Europa Flats. The site had originally been called Lady Louisa’s Battery.
This was one of the large batteries and in 1859 it mounted one 68-pdr and sixteen 32-pdr guns. At this time, all the 32-pdr guns were in the process of being replaced by 68-pdrs.
In 1874 it was decided to scrap the sixteen-gun battery and replace it with eleven 80-pdr 5 ton RML guns. The work on the emplacement was completed by 1876. Returns for 1886 show that a total of eight 80-pdr RML gun have now been installed.
Between 21st May 1897 and 9th September 1897 four 3-pdr Q.F. guns were mounted at the north end of Elliot’s Battery and was designated as Elliot’s Practice Battery. This work cost a total of £139 to complete.